Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Tell Yourself about You!

“Tell me a little bit about yourself.” Since you probably are in the workplace, certainly the majority heard this statement or derivative during a job interview.

Have you ever pondered that statement and asked it of yourself? Seriously. You may come to an important self-discovery. It happened to me.

My life long career in an industry had ended - not of my volition. I decided to deploy myself into a new, unfamiliar business venture.

Rather than wallow in discouragement and wonder why my prior experience delivered a disappointing outcome, I decided to appreciate the sum of my experiences and garnered valuable lessons for work and life.

· My current situation requires me to be resourceful and resilient; the same traits I honed with my prior profession.

· It is important to be likeable. A former co-worker, merely passably talented in his craft, forged tremendous business relationships due to his friendly and down to earth nature.

· Innovation is necessary, change a given. Delivering and nurturing innovative changes requires time, repetition, and copious information with assurances.

· Do your homework! It is easy to minimize preparation and planning while maximizing enthusiasm and optimism. Passion is contagious - however, passion without a foundation discourages the “contagion” from spreading.

My suggestion; tell yourself “a little bit about yourself.” You may discover or renew what you know is important for living an encouraged life.

No comments: